You have heard this term many times these days but do you know what augmented reality (AR) exactly is?
AR is basically an enhanced version of reality which combines digital information and the user’s environment in a real time. It makes use of the present surroundings and overlays new information on top of it.
How augmented reality is different from virtual reality?
Virtual reality is defined as the use of computer technology to create an imaginary world. When you view VR, you are viewing a virtual environment than the one which really exists whereas augmented reality imposes virtual objects on the real world environment with the help of digital technology.
CATEGORIES OF AUGMENTED REALITY
There are 4 different kinds of augmented reality:-
- Marker-based augmented reality
- Markerless based augmented reality
- Projection based augmented reality
- Superimposition based augmented reality
1. MARKER BASED AUGMENTED REALITY
Marker-based AR is basically a technology with the help of which your device like phone or tablet’s camera captures the real surroundings and the software on the device identifies a visual marker like QR or 2D code which then triggers the software to produce a result only when the marker is sensed by the reader. Once the identification is complete it replaces the marker with a 3D version of the corresponding object.
2. MARKERLESS BASED AUGMENTED REALITY
Markerless based AR as one of the most widely applied application (additionally called location-based, position-primarily based, or GPS) which makes use of a GPS, digital compass, velocity meter, or accelerometer that is embedded inside the device to provide data primarily based on your location. With the availability of smartphones, this form of AR generally produces maps and guidelines, close by corporations information.
3. PROJECTION BASED AUGMENTED REALITY
The technology behind this application is throwing the light onto the floor of the actual world and makes it interactive through the human contact with the help of sensors. The projection can also be done in mid-air with the help of laser plasma technology. It facilitates in analyzing the shape and configurations of projected pics.
4. SUPERIMPOSITION BASED AUGMENTED REALITY
Superimposition primarily based AR additionally makes use of object recognition which performs a key role, without it the entire concept is sincerely impossible and it is a good way to replace a whole object or a part of it with an augmented view.
We’ve all seen the instance of superimposed augmented fact in IKEA Catalog app, that permits users to region virtual objects of their fixtures catalog in their rooms. The era is beneficial in the clinical area. A health practitioner can very well look at an ill person and offers a right treatment.
HOW AUGMENTED REALITY CAN BE USEFUL IN OUR DAILY LIFE?
- Maintenance and repair: using a head-worn display, a mechanic making repairs to an engine can see superimposed imagery and data in his actual line of sight.
- Education: interactive models for mastering and schooling purposes, from mathematics to chemistry.
- Medicinal drug /healthcare: to help diagnose, screen, educate, localize, etc.
- Army: for superior navigation, marking items in real time.
- Artwork / installations / visible arts / tune.
- Tourism: records on destinations, sightseeing items, navigation, and guidelines.
- Television: AR in the coverage of sports, leisure, and weather in television is now predicted as part of the broadcast.
- Broadcasting: improving stay events and event streaming via overlaying content.
- Advertising and promotion: to present the world around you by displaying real- time digital data together with the real world.
- Business design: to visualize, calculate or model.
- Retail: is also a thrilling enterprise in terms of AR. for example, AR in retail can help people believe various outfits on them before surely buying. Seventy-one percent of consumers say they might be more likely to save at a store if AR has been supplied, and sixty- one percent could pick a shop with AR reports over a shop without.